+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1

    D7100 optimal menu settings

    Hello Everyone,

    I love my new D7100. My very first Nikon, and it's amazing!

    My question is...is there an optimal way to set the camera settings? These menus items are much different than what I am used to.

    ​Thank you.


    › See More: D7100 optimal menu settings



  2. #2
    Staff
    Super Mod
    Don Kuykendall's Avatar

    Re: New D7100 owner with a Question

    There really is no one best way. how you set it up depends on how and what you are shooting.

    I would suggest sitting down with the manual and reading it and as you are reading look at each one of the settings and see what it does and then decide what is best for you.

    There are hundreds of people here and every one of them has their on "best" way.

    ================================================== ============================
    D7100***AF-S 18-140 ***AF-S 70-300***Tokina 11-16***40mm Micro***SB-700***Photoshop CS6

  3. #3
    Illuminaughty Master
    Moderator
    Horoscope Fish's Avatar

    Re: New D7100 owner with a Question

    Quote Originally Posted by mlcinema View Post
    My question is...is there an optimal way to set the camera settings?
    Nope... All those options are gateways to the flexibility and creative control you paid for when buying a D7100. You might want to start with one of the programmed modes, like Aperture Priority for example, to kind of simplify things while you're learning your way around the camera.
    Last edited by Horoscope Fish; 05-13-2013 at 08:00 PM.
    Likes Don Kuykendall liked this post


  4. #4

    Re: New D7100 owner with a Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Tracsoft - Don Kuykendall View Post
    There really is no one best way. how you set it up depends on how and what you are shooting.

    I would suggest sitting down with the manual and reading it and as you are reading look at each one of the settings and see what it does and then decide what is best for you.

    There are hundreds of people here and every one of them has their on "best" way.

    Makes since. Thank you.

  5. #5

    Re: New D7100 owner with a Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Horoscope Fish View Post
    Nope... All those options are gateways to the flexibility and creative control you paid for when buying a D7100. You might want to start with one of the programmed modes, like Aperture Priority for example, to kind of simplify things while you're learning your way around the camera.
    I am currently learning the camera using Aperture Priority. I guess I'll have to go through the settings and see what they all do.

    ​Thank you.

  6. #6
    Senior Member

    Re: D7100 optimal menu settings

    Hi, I could tell you how I set my 7100,but I doubt it would work for you as others have stated you need to do your own settings as you learn to use the camera and what you shoot,this can't really be answered by anyone,but you,good luck as you move on.
    Last edited by bigal1000; 05-20-2013 at 01:17 PM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Ironwood's Avatar

    Re: D7100 optimal menu settings

    There are some video's on youtube you can watch to give you some ideas, but ultimately some ( or all ) of the settings they recommend may not be right for you. but it will give you somewhere to start.
    ​You can always reset to the default settings if things dont work out.
    Brad


    Every Day might not be a good Day,
    ​ but there is something good in every Day.

  8. #8
    Illuminaughty Master
    Moderator
    Horoscope Fish's Avatar

    I Forgot to Mention Sharpening...

    Come to think of it there is one setting I suggest. Go to...

    Shooting Menu (camera icon)
    Set Picture Control (I use Standard here but pick your poison)
    Right-arrow one click, using the directional buttons surrounding the "OK" button

    From this menu, drop down to the "Sharpening" setting and bump it up to +7. For whatever reason Nikon seems to set this option really low, like -2 or -3, as the default. If you haven't changed it, that's where the setting will be. You can try using other settings here but the +7 setting seems to do a really nice job; there was a noticeable difference in image quality once I made this adjustment.

    I don't adjust anything else in this menu; the Sharpness setting is the only one I feel needs help.

  9. #9

    Re: I Forgot to Mention Sharpening...

    Quote Originally Posted by Horoscope Fish View Post
    Come to think of it there is one setting I suggest. Go to...

    Shooting Menu (camera icon)
    Set Picture Control (I use Standard here but pick your poison)
    Right-arrow one click, using the directional buttons surrounding the "OK" button

    From this menu, drop down to the "Sharpening" setting and bump it up to +7. For whatever reason Nikon seems to set this option really low, like -2 or -3, as the default. If you haven't changed it, that's where the setting will be. You can try using other settings here but the +7 setting seems to do a really nice job; there was a noticeable difference in image quality once I made this adjustment.

    I don't adjust anything else in this menu; the Sharpness setting is the only one I feel needs help.

    OK. Let me take a look at this. Thank you.

  10. #10

    Re: D7100 optimal menu settings

    And don't take anybody's word as fact. What they say is what applies in their world under their circumstances. I was recently at Talladega photographing cars going by at 190 mph. I was photographing at 1/8000 shutter speed and the photos came out amazing. Yet a bunch of people on here told me I was overkilling the shutter speed. For stop action if you don't use 1/8000 shutter speed on a car travelling at 190 mph when do you use it?





Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above before posting.

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Nikonites uses: