+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Junior Member

    D700 Sensor Cleaning

    Please detailed how you clean the sensor.Thanks


    › See More: D700 Sensor Cleaning



  2. #2
    Staff
    Super Mod
    Ruidoso Bill's Avatar

    Re: D700 Sensor Cleaning

    First, your D700 has a built in cleaner/vibrator to dislodge dust. Make sure you have it set to work when you shut down your camera.

    Here is a good tutorial I bookmarked a while back: Cleaning sensors by Thom Hogan

    A blower is the first line of defense. You can check for dust/contaminants by taking a picture of a white piece of paper. A sensor scope or loupe is also suggested for seeing what you're doing.

    I also read a good tutorial from a place called Copperhill, I think, if you google sensor cleaning there is quite a bit. The effective cleaning methods all include a sensor swab and usually a solution like eclipse. A quick wipe is what is required.
    Last edited by fotojack; 12-16-2011 at 10:26 PM. Reason: sp
    Regards,
    Bill ​
    Follow the Golden Rule


  3. #3
    Senior Member
    RickSawThat's Avatar

    Re: D700 Sensor Cleaning

    How often do you clean the sensors?


    * All images posted by Rick Wilson are the property of Rick Wilson (RickSawThat) and may not be copied, downloaded, saved, printed or posted on other sites without the owners written permission.

    Rick W

    www.RickSawThat.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ricksawthat/
    RickSawThat *at* gmail.com

    D7000
    70-300mm VR * 18-105 VR * 10-17mm Tokina Fisheye DX

  4. #4
    Captain Grammar
    Super Mod
    fotojack's Avatar

    Re: D700 Sensor Cleaning

    If you mount and dismount your lenses carefully, you shouldn't have to clean your sensor more than once a year. Seriously.

    When unmounting a lens, have the other lens ready beforehand! Tilt the camera face towards the ground, dismount the lens. Keeping the camera tilted toward the ground still, mount the other lens. The less dust you allow to fall into the camera opening the better. Using common sense goes a long way in keeping your gear in top shape. Treat your camera roughly, and it won't last long.
    Thanks/Like Ruidoso Bill Thanks/liked this post
     
    Jack

    We guarantee quick answers....no matter how long it takes!

    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain an idea without necessarily accepting it. -Aristotle
    *************************************************
    All Nikkor lenses except where stated otherwise:
    35 1.8/ 50 1.8/ 18-55/ 18-105/ 28-105
    Tokina AT-X Pro SD 11-16 F2.8 (IF) DX

  5. #5
    Staff
    Super Mod
    Ruidoso Bill's Avatar

    Re: D700 Sensor Cleaning

    Quote Originally Posted by fotojack View Post
    If you mount and dismount your lenses carefully, you shouldn't have to clean your sensor more than once a year. Seriously.

    When unmounting a lens, have the other lens ready beforehand! Tilt the camera face towards the ground, dismount the lens. Keeping the camera tilted toward the ground still, mount the other lens. The less dust you allow to fall into the camera opening the better. Using common sense goes a long way in keeping your gear in top shape. Treat your camera roughly, and it won't last long.
    Good advice from Jack, I think in addition your climate/conditions will change that frequency. If you live in or travel in the southwest and change lenses a lot you will be cleaning the sensor more frequently.
    Thanks/Like fotojack Thanks/liked this post
     
    Regards,
    Bill ​
    Follow the Golden Rule


  6. #6
    Gear Head
    Moderator
    gqtuazon's Avatar

    Re: D700 Sensor Cleaning

    We sensor cleaning is the best method to get rid of those stubborn dirt or lint inside your sensor. Youtube is a good resource to get you started.



    I got my cleaning kit from B and H photo. I normally clean my sensor twice a year since I got my cleaning kit. I used to change lenses out on the field more frequently before since I use to have a lot of prime lenses. Changing lenses just like what Jack have suggested is the better way and it is what Nikon recommends.

    Here are some old shots before. I hope this helps and good luck.




    Best regards,

    Glenn
    My Gear
    Flickr
    My website

  7. #7
    Happy Canadian
    Super Mod
    Marcel's Avatar

    Re: D700 Sensor Cleaning

    One thing that hasn't been mentioned so far is that there is a setting where the camera will do it's self-cleaning when you turn it on or shut it off. I have my setting (self-cleaning) turned on at startup and off. One thing my camera shop frined told me is that this self-cleaning thing is more efficient if the camera is set on a solid surface and leveled.
    Hope this helps.
    Light is not always that easy to capture .
    Please visit my Gallery

  8. #8
    Junior Member

    Re: D700 Sensor Cleaning

    Thanks all, I have been watching youtube videos on how to clean the sensor and I have have mislead all of you guys. I actually have two specks on the mirror that you immediately see when you take of the lens. Now that is not the sensor or is it?

    Sorry if this is confusing! I am still learning a lot about the mechanial of cameras. Definitely a good learning experience.

    Thanks all.

  9. #9
    Happy Canadian
    Super Mod
    Marcel's Avatar

    Re: D700 Sensor Cleaning

    Quote Originally Posted by chowchow View Post
    Thanks all, I have been watching youtube videos on how to clean the sensor and I have have mislead all of you guys. I actually have two specks on the mirror that you immediately see when you take of the lens. Now that is not the sensor or is it?

    Sorry if this is confusing! I am still learning a lot about the mechanial of cameras. Definitely a good learning experience.

    Thanks all.
    Good, but make sure you get rid of these speck BEFORE they get on the sensor where they'll be harder to remove.
    Light is not always that easy to capture .
    Please visit my Gallery

  10. #10
    Junior Member

    Re: D700 Sensor Cleaning

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Carey View Post
    Good, but make sure you get rid of these speck BEFORE they get on the sensor where they'll be harder to remove.
    So Marcel, that is not the sensor right? and what is the best way to get the specks off?
    Thanks





Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above before posting.

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Similar Threads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Nikonites uses: